"The most lasting travel souvenir is the memory of a good meal." – Ghandi
WARNING: The views expressed on this page run contrary to widely accepted family reunion/scout camp meal planning protocol.
Please forgive me for a moment as I climb aboard my anti-meal planning soapbox (you may want to ask the children to look the other way for a minute)...
Since joint meal planning ALWAYS ends up costing twice as much money. And since planned group meals ALWAYS seem to waste 3 to 5 hours to setup, prepare, eat, and cleanup (precious hours we might otherwise prefer to waste in funner ways). And since planning coordination ALWAYS quadruples the quantity and duration of grocery store visits, we would really rather keep meals and dining to the "your on your own" system.
So please just plan your own meals, bring your own food, bring your own cooking gear, bring your own dishes, bring your own money for dining out (there is fast food as close as 3.5 miles from the campground), and take care of your own trash.
That way, if your dinner takes too long to cook, or is too complicated to prepare without your kitchen appliances, or gets soggy because all the ice in your cooler melted, or gets burned because you decided to do a souffle over a campfire, or if you forget to pack a lunch that is appropriate for eating off the side of a hiking trail, or if you get frustrated because your stuck cleaning up dinner when it's dark out, or if you end up not liking what you brought and end up going to town for McDonald's every day, or if you forget to bring milk for your baby, or if your kids don't like your snacks, you'll have nobody to blame but yourself and then nobody else has to feel any guilt about your misery.
I'm not saying I won't eat next to you, or that I won't share my campstove and dishes at dinnertime, or that I won't ask if I can have one of your sodapops, or that I won't eat some of your brownies when you're not looking, or that I won't share my beef jerky when we're hiking or that I won't give your kid a juicebox if they ask nicely and say please, I'm just saying that none of us should feel like we're responsible for thinking all those things through on behalf of everybody else.
... soapbox dismounted.
Our campsite and fire ring will be available to any of you motel stayers that might wish to experience an outdoor meal in a camp-like atmosphere, but we can't guarantee that we will be available to sit around and watch you prepare and eat it, at least not during daylight hours. We will bring a cooler and an igloo full of ice water on all Jeep outings and any passengers are welcome to use it or bring along their own cooler.
If dining out is more your fancy, Moab has many excellent restaurants. Our current budget constraints will probably limit our personal dining out to one meal (and maybe one meal of fast food) for the weekend. Saturday will probably be the most likely evening for a night on the town. See http://www.moabhappenings.com/menuguide.htm to download an excellent menu guide for nearly all of Moab's restaurants.
Playground and David's Birthday Party
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment